Monday 15 October 2012

R-E-L-A-X




There’s a term commonly used in my industry: the “flop-and-drop” holiday. This is generally a holiday, or even an entire destination, where there’s not a lot going on and the idea is to relax, have a mai-tai and swim in the resort pool. It’s not a term I particularly like because I think it gives people who may not know much about a destination an excuse to pigeon-hole places and thus give “informed” recommendations, but by the same token I can understand why a term like this may be used.

Conversely, I find this term can be used by those who feel the package holiday is beneath them (you know the ones, the I’m-so-cool-I-can-do-it-all-by-myself backpacker types who make snide remarks about package holiday-makers) and if used in this way it can shame the less ‘adventurous’ into feeling like they’ve made the wrong decision.


The thing is, there’s a time and a place for everything. I make jokes about how I’ve sold out because I’m more of a package tourist now, but there’s a reason why I travel differently these days to when I was nineteen. For one, I grew up. That doesn’t mean all backpackers are immature gap-year kids, but what it does mean is that I have a career, I’m time poor, and when I’m away I want to spend the least amount of time possible trying to get organised. I’m also happy to pay more for the experience. I also like organised tours, because it means I’m motivated to get up off my arse every day and I know I’ll come back with all sorts of stories. It’s also likely I’ll meet some nice people on the way through.

So, this being said, my next few posts are going to be about some destinations a few people are quick to dismiss as “boring flop-and-drop holidays”, and why I think everyone should give them a chance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment